Blazon: Per fess argent issuant from a triple mount in base vert a ladder gules and of the last a stag statant or
The ladder (leiter) is a canting allusion to the first lords of Krauchenwies, the Lords of Leiterberg.
Blazon: Per pale argent a pall gules and of the last, a Maltese cross of the first, pointé in base barry wavy of the first and azure
Although Ruidera fell into the territory of the Order of Santiago (per a 1237 treaty), it ultimately ended up as the property of the Order of St. John in 1783, which is probably the source for the Maltese cross. There are also many lagoons and wetlands in the area under national protection, which may be the source of the barry wavy point.
Blazon: Per fess argent a castle gules windowed or and of the last a bend wavy azure
The castle may be either a reference to or a representation of one of two local castles; the castle of Prim, a military residence that once hosted a meeting between Juan Prim y Prats and Pope Pius IX, or the castle Milagro (Castle of the Miracle) which was built by Rodrigo Jiménez de Rada during the Reconquista.
Blazon: Per quarterly I and IV azure a bend of five lozenges conjoined or, II and III per pale indented or and gules, overall on a cross ermine a mitre proper
Crest: On a wreath or and azure issuant from a mural crown or charged with a Tudor rose a dexter arm embowed holding a hammer all proper
Supporters: On the dexter a figure representing Art proper vested argent wreathed with laurel vert tied by a riband gules, holding in the sinister hand resting on the shield a book bound of the last and in the dexter a palette with two brushes proper; on the sinister a figure representing Industry habited as a smith, holding in the dexter hand resting on the shield a cupel and in the sinister a hammer resting on an anvil all proper
Mantling: Azure lined or
Both coats quartered here were used by the de Bermingham family at various points in time. The family also quartered the coats, but in opposite quarters; the city changed the order for difference. The city was previously granted arms in 1889, which used a fess ermine instead of a cross, and a mural crown instead of a mitre. The supporters in the previous arms were also reversed, with Industry on the dexter and Art on the sinister.
Blazon: Argent on a mount vert a castle in ruin gules, in chief on a point dexter sable a bendlet and a molet of six points of the field and in sinister chief a like molet of the fourth
The municipal arms incorporate elements of each of the three former towns that form the present-day Herdwangen-Schönach. The castle is from Großschönach (where it was a depiction of Ramsberg Castle), the molets from Herdwangen, and the bendlet from Oberndorf.
Granted 1445?; possibly in use since 1278
Blazon: Azure on a mount in base between two trees proper a tower argent, roofed gules, portcullis and pennon or
The exact date of the grant is unclear, but it certainly occurred before 1627; there is a reference to the now-missing grant in a document from that year by Emperor Ferdinand II.