Arms of Derbyshire County, England

Derbyshire

Granted 1937

Blazon: Or a rose gules surmounted by another argent, both barbed and seeded proper, on a chief sable three stags’ heads caboshed of the third

Crest: Issuant from a mural crown or a dragon wings elevated and addorsed sable holding in the dexter claw a pick of the first and collared argent

Supporters: On the dexter a stag and on the sinister a ram, both proper and gorged with a chain or pendant therefrom a rose gules surmounted by another argent, barbed and seeded also proper

Mantling: Gules lined or

Motto: Bene consulendo (By good counsel)

The double rose is referred to as the Tudor rose; Henry VII adopted it as a badge to symbolize the union of the houses of Lancaster (whose symbol was a red rose) and York (the white rose). The county previously used the Tudor rose as an unofficial device. The stag refers to the first local fort built by Danish invaders, which was named Derby after the number of deer in the region, and eventually gave its name to the county.

Advertisements

Arms of West Lancashire District Council, England

Granted 1983

Blazon: Argent on a mount in base vert, a representation of the Church of Ormskirk proper between three roses 2 and 1 gules, barbed and seeded also proper, on a chief azure between two garbs or each within four fleurs-de-lis 2 and 2 a lion rampant guardant of the field

Crest: Issuant from a mural crown proper a phoenix in flames also proper, wings displayed gules gorged with a chain pendant therefrom a miner’s lamp surmounting a shovel and pickaxe in saltire, all or

Mantling: Per fess gules and azure, lined per fess or and argent

Motto: Salus populi suprema lex (The good of the people is the supreme law.)