Arms of the borough of Harrow

Harrow

London, England

Arms and crest granted 1938, supporters granted 1954

Blazon: Or a fess arched vert, in chief on a pile gules between a torch sable enflamed proper and a quill pen of the fourth a clarion of the field, in base issuant from a mount a wood of trees of the second

Crest: Issuant from a mural crown proper a demi-lion rampant holding between the paws an arrow fesswise argent enfiled with a wreath of oak also proper

Supporters: On the dexter a representation of Hygeia supporting with her exterior hand a staff entwined with a snake, on the sinister a Benedictine monk supporting with the exterior hand a staff, all proper

Mantling: Vert lined or

Motto: Salus populi suprema lex (The well-being of the people is the highest law)

The fess vert represents the green spaces in the borough. The torch and quill pen refer to knowledge and the famous writers of the borough (such as Lord Byron, educated at the Harrow School). The pile is drawn from the Chandos arms. The clarion supposedly refers to the borough’s connection with Handel, although he lived in Mayfair.

From The Grammar of Heraldry by Samuel Kent

1. Cowdry, gules ten billets 4, 3, 2, 1, or

2. Cowpen, gules three pens argent

3. Cradock, argent three boars’ heads couped sable, armed or