Blazon: Gules a bear erect argent muzzled of the field collared and chained or supporting a staff raguly of the second, the chain reflexed over the back and encircling the staff; on a chief of the third three cross crosslets of the first; the shield ensigned with a mural crown or
Motto: Non sanz droict (Not without right)
The bear and staff have been used as symbols of the Earls of Warwick since at least 1268. One source gives their origin in medieval legend; the name of one Earl of Warwick, Arthgallus, was supposedly derived from “arthos,” or “bear”, and another was said to have used a broken tree branch to kill a giant. (There is no solid proof for either of these assertions.)
Granted 1953; confirmed 2015
Blazon: Or a fess wavy azure between in chief a bear passant sable and in base a rose gules
These are canting arms, displaying a bear (Bär) and a river (Bach).
Blazon: Vert a bend sinister argent, surmounted by a bear rampant sable armed and langued gules
The bear is drawn from the arms of the local monastary of St. Gallus; legend has it that a bear helped the saint build a hermitage. There is another legend that, in 1576, the village of Appenzell mocked the symbol of the city (then called St. Gallen) as not masculine enough. This apparently contributed to a military conflict between the areas. The current design is the result of a 1975 contest.
Blazon: Per pale gules a chief dancetty argent (from the arms of the former municipality of Gößlingen) and or a bear rampant sable, armed and langued gules (from the former arms of Dietingen)
Blazon: Argent a bear rampant sable upon a base vert
Blazon: Argent a bear rampant sable, armed and langued gules, bearing an escutcheon per bend sinister of the second and the first
In use since at least 1900
Blazon: Azure on a pile or between in dexter a pine tree eradicated and in sinister a garb bound to a sickle, all proper, a bear rampant sable langued gules and bearing in the dexter paw a spoon argent