Arms of Sulzbach-Laufen, Germany

Sulzbach-Laufen

Granted 1975?

Blazon: Azure a covered bridge or, in chief five pistons 2 and 3 and in base a base wavy argent

The pistons presumably come from the Schenken von Limpurg arms, while the covered bridge seems to be a traditional symbol of the town (though no such bridge survives today).

Advertisements

Arms of the House of Borgia

Borgia

In use since 1455?

Blazon: Or a bull passant gules on a base vert within a bordure of the field charged with eight flames of the last

The Borgias are possibly the most famous (or infamous) family of the Italian Renaissance. The family produced two Popes (Callixtus III and Alexander VI) and countless scandalous tales of bribery, murder, poisoning, adultery, and incest. The family’s decline began in earnest after Alexander VI’s death in 1503, helped along by their scurrilous reputation. The line became officially extinct in 1740.

Arms of Mainhardt, Germany

Mainhardt

Granted 1957

Blazon: Per pale sable a lion salient or and or issuant from a base vert a birch tree proper

The original coat of arms, granted 1927, was sable a lion [position unclear] argent bearing in the sinister paw an escutcheon of the field two lions passant in pale of the second and or from a triple mount issuant a tree vert. The arms in the escutcheon were those of the Hohenlohe dynasty, who ruled the area from 1416 into the 19th century. The blazon was altered to its current form when the arms were confirmed by the Ministry of the Interior in 1957, though the lion charge was preserved as a reference to the Hohenloes.